In recent years, most women suffer from Pre-menstrual symptoms that often disturb their mental and physical health, sometimes severe enough to disrupt their performance of daily activities. However, these are manageable by understanding the underlying cause and treating symptoms. Mentioned below are some effective home remedies that will help to alleviate/ cure your PMS symptoms.
Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) is the combination of physical and emotional changes in the female body that occur between ovulation and the start of your menstruation. It is caused due to fluctuation in hormone levels during the menstrual phase. Women usually experience these symptoms a week or two before their period.
PMS symptoms vary for every woman. However, you may experience some of the physical symptoms such as bloating, headache, back pain, swollen/ tender breasts, constipation/diarrhoea and emotional symptoms such as irritability, tiredness, anxiety, mood swings, depression, and changes in sleep and appetite pattern.
The management of PMS includes a few lifestyle changes along with certain medications in severe cases. In such severe cases, you will be prescribed certain medicines such as anti-depressants to manage depression, painkillers to reduce pain, hormonal contraceptives to balance hormone levels, and diuretics to relieve bloating.
You may also be prescribed certain nutritional supplements such as Magnesium, Vitamin B, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids etc based on your PMS symptoms and causes.
Following are some natural remedies and tips that will help you to relieve PMS symptoms.
- Identifying and knowing about your pattern of PMS symptoms and their causes are important in selecting management methods effectively.
- Perform regular aerobic activities such as cycling, and brisk walking to prevent fatigue and improve overall menstrual health.
- Diet- Stay hydrated and consume more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid salty foods to prevent bloating and fluid retention associated with PMS. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and excessive sugar intake.
- Modify your meal intake pattern from 3 large portioned meals to 5-6 small portioned meals. By having frequent small meals, your blood sugar level stabilizes and reduces the severity of PMS symptoms.
- Calcium is said to relieve PMS symptoms naturally and women having good calcium levels are at lower risk of developing PMS. Approximately 1200mg of calcium intake per day is optimal. Hence, add calcium-rich food such as almonds, and dairy products to your diet or you may take calcium supplements to manage your PMS symptoms.
- Get enough sleep of about 7-8 hours every day. Lack of sleep often causes anxiety, and irritability and worsens your PMS symptoms.
- Relieve stress by practising yoga/ certain breathing exercises. Increased stress leads to the occurrence of PMS.
- Therapies such as acupuncture, massage and aroma therapy using essential oils can also be practised to reduce PMS symptoms.