Over recent years, it is observed that women have become aware of the negative impact of disposing of used sanitary products on the environment. On average, your conventional period products are not recyclable contains up to 90% plastic and take multiple years to decompose. More than 2,00,000 tonnes of waste is generated per year from disposed plastic menstrual products. These break down into micro-plastics and take forever to decompose. Owing to the environment and women’s health, numerous women have switched to eco-sustainable menstrual products, while not having a compromise in the quality and safety of the product.
Sustainable menstruation is the process of using eco-friendly, biodegradable period products in place of hazardous synthetic products for the benefit of the Earth and your health. Most women view sustainable products as an investment and a healthier option. To have a more eco-friendly period, you just have to select the appropriate period product.
- Check for re-usability of the product. Re-usable products impose lesser harm to the environment.
- Opt for plastic-free products since plastics and micro-plastics pollute the Earth, and water bodies and also affect animal life after being tossed into the trash.
- Choose products that are free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates, dioxins etc that mess with the environment.
As an initiative to ‘Zero or minimal waste period’, the following are some eco-friendly alternatives to synthetic conventional pads that you can start using and make a change in the environment-
- Organic pads- Usually made from bamboo pulp, banana fibres, organic cotton etc. Materials like vegetable gum glue, and corn starch used for the sticky backing are compostable and eco-friendly.
- Reusable cotton pads- They are made from organic cotton, recycled bottles etc. These products are free from harsh chemicals and possess minimal health hazards. These pads are suitable for all sensitive skin types and last up to 100 use. This is one of the most comfortable and eco-friendly products you can choose from.
- Reusable menstrual cups- While most women hold back from using menstrual cups, these could be a game-changer. They are made from medical-grade silicon/ natural rubber and lasts up to 6-10 years. They are non-biodegradable but can be recycled. These can be emptied every 8-10 hours and washed to reuse. By making this sustainable choice of using menstrual cups, you are making a positive impact on the environment.
- Cotton tampons- Certain tampons are made from pure cotton and are free of chemicals, synthetics and dyes. Such tampons are perfect for the compost bin and are eco-friendly.
It may seem challenging to switch over traditional products, but change starts within you. By having sustainable menstruation, period waste is reduced and you become part of a cleaner environment while having a healthy period.